Monday, June 7, 2010

Chapter Two - Part 1d

I sat on the hood of my car and waited and watched. It was pretty dead at the park. Maybe three cars. Of them one was a couple who were there to work on their tans. The other two cars parked. After a few minutes each one emptied. Both were driven by guys about my age who had come alone. The flyer girls had worked their magic on more than just me. I noticed that in the last ten minutes the people at the table had been checking me out. I was beginning to think they were it, the flyer people. I didn't feel like going over to them because I had no clue what to say. I mean what was there to say? Are you the people who want to kick some ass and save humanity? Oh, and where are the Flyer girls?" No. Too transparent. I would need to ease into this. Hell, maybe I could get in one the ground floor of something big. Though, from looking at the turnout I was getting in at the subbasement level.

I looked at my cell and saw I had ten minutes to the start of whatever it was. I thought we could safely rule out a riot or a revolution from the number of people that had shown up. My checking of the time had not gone unnoticed by the guy from the car a couple cars down from me. He held out a flyer and said "You here for this?" I didn't have to look to closely at it to know it the same one, or close to it, that had brought me here. So I told him "Yep." He was a fellow White guy. He was till wearing the local uniform for worker drones. He had the khaki pants and polo shirt with a phone clipped to his belt. He was in his early thirties, the hairline starting to recede, his sunglasses pushed up to ride on his head, and very tired eyes. I felt like I already knew him.

He stepped up and put out his hand. We did the name exchange, first only of course. He was Rick. "Nice to meet you Dakota." Yes, that is my name. The legacy of a couple of Hippie parents who thought it vibrated with my inner spirit or some such shit. "So you been to one of these before" He asked me offhandedly. "No" I replied. "How about you."

He kind of smiled and said "No. Can't say I have. Say you think them women that were handing these out are going to be here?" He tried saying that offhanded too. I laughed, and said "I hope so but its not looking that way. He muttered "Yeah. No shit." During this one of the red haired women had gotten up from the table and was walking towards us smiling. We both watched her approach. She wasn't bad looking at all an even nicer was it was obvious she wasn't wearing a bra. The red hair didn't work for her but I was willing to overlook that.

No comments:

Post a Comment